Views & Brews: Haunted History
San Antonio is recognized for its rich history, culture, and colorful stories that have been told countless times and passed from one generation to the next. Some of these stories include haunted tales.
At this Views & Brews event, experts share their knowledge, experiences, and the history behind well-known haunted places in San Antonio. The panel below is moderated by David Martin Davies, host of The Source.
- Ernesto Malacara: Public Relations Director, The Menger Hotel
- Kinitra Brooks, Ph.D.: Assistant Professor of English, The University of Texas at San Antonio
- Martin Leal: Owner, ACP Alamo Ghost Hunt with Martin Leal
Thanks to Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling and Casa Rio for providing refreshments at our event.
Dr. Kinitra Brooks cites the following sources in her presentation (audio above):
Contemporary Gothic (2007) by Catherine Spooner
The Ethnogothic is a working definition of Professor John Jennings at SUNY-Buffalo.
- Let’s Play White (2011), Chesya Burke
- Dreaming in Cuban (1993), Cristina Garcia
- Mama Day (1989), Gloria Naylor
- Stigmata (1998), Phyllis Alesia Perry
- Raising the Dead: Readings of Death and (Black) Subjectivity (2000), Sharon Patricia Holland
- Pretend We’re Dead: Capitalist Monsters in American Pop Culture (2006), AnnaleeNewitz
- African American Gothic: Screams from Shadowed Places (2012), Maisha L. Wester