Job Title: Business Manager
Location: Dallas, TX
Hiring Station: KERA-FM
NPR and its member stations are creating an innovative new system of regional news hubs designed to reshape the journalism landscape -- and the prototype is being built in Texas.
We’re looking for a Business Manager to oversee the finances, metrics and sustainability efforts locally, regionally and nationally. The Business Manager is a two-year position in Dallas at KERA, lead station for the collaboration between the network and the Texas stations. The other three managing stations are KUT in Austin, Houston Public Media and Texas Public Radio in San Antonio.
The Business Manager is the principal contact for station leaders and business-side staff who share in the responsibility of marketing, selling, fundraising, distributing the content produced by the Texas News Hub. The Business Manager will develop project plans to meet key business objectives as directed by station leadership and circulate daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly project updates and financial reports to key stakeholders.
The Business Manager will maintain strong communications with all editorial and business leadership who work with the hub. The Business Manager will work with the Managing Editor to define and track metrics, to document engagement and evidence of mission-driven impact and help create an impact measurement process that can be shared with funders.
- Work with leaders at KERA, Hub stations and NPR to define monthly and quarterly goals and objectives that will build Texas News Hub deliverables.
- Track, monitor and report on the hub’s finances. Ensure timely handling of reimbursements and payments into and out of the hub.
- Collaboratively define, track and supervise collection of hub metrics.
- Design and implement project plans and strategies to promote the attainment of sustainability goals.
- Identify areas for operational or process improvement that directly affect revenue and sustainability.
- Identify areas for new product development and conduct analysis to determine the potential revenue and risks of new product development.
- Assess Hub financial performance against objectives.
- Ensure adherence to financial-reporting rules and guidelines.
R Required Skills:
- Demonstrated business acumen, including accounting.
- Strong organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and ensure deadlines are met.
- Ability to create and maintain databases to track and report key financial information of the Hub
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong collaborative skills, as demonstrated by at least two years in a project management role.
- Detail-oriented approach to financial and metrics collection and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct financial analysis.
- Dedication to diversity a must.
- Valid driver’s license and insurance required for assignments/activities that involve work outside of the office. Must maintain a clean driving record.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in business administration or journalism with a business minor; MBA a plus.
- Familiar with and experienced in Corporation for Public Broadcasting reporting practices.
- Experience working in public media or with non-profits.
- Experience working as or among journalists.
- Demonstrated experience of having grown an enterprise or product.
- Understanding of marketing principles.
- Spanish-language skills are a plus.
- Enthusiastic about journalism and news opportunities in Texas.
Job Title: Summer Arts Intern
Location: San Antonio, TX
Texas Public Radio has an opportunity for a full-time, paid, intern during the summer of 2020.
The Summer Arts Intern will work closely with the News Director and VP of Cultural & Community Engagement to create content for Texas Public Radio on-air, and online. The Summer Arts Intern will learn storytelling techniques, and how to produce for radio. Our Summer Arts Intern will also help to produce a series of video segments for TPR featuring local musicians.
Interested applicants must be available to work full-time from June 1, 2020, to August 7, 2020. Must be a Bexar County resident, currently enrolled full-time in undergraduate studies, but need not be attending college in Bexar County.
Skilled writer. Audio recording and editing experience a plus. Experience with Adobe Premiere (or, if using alternate software, must have access to computer with favored video editing software).
To apply: Please provide a resume, as well as a cover letter summarizing current studies and qualifications for the position. Please also download the Intern Info Form at the bottom of this page and include with your packet. Apply be emailing materials to Nathan Cone at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline extended to April 15, 2020.