Health Disparities in Bexar County
Moving Toward A Healthy Community: Health Disparities and Mending the Gap in Bexar County. This Conversation About Ethics panel presentation features representatives from five stakeholder groups: community, for-profit healthcare, non-profit healthcare, academia, and government, in a discussion about health disparities in Bexar County. The discussion explores unfilled health care needs as well as root causes that contribute to inequalities (including poverty, underinsurance, low health literacy, language, cultural factors and transportation), which in turn lead to poor health.
This event took place on October 10, 2012 at the UT Health Science Center Holly Auditorium.
Presenters include the following:
- Ruth Berggren, MD, Director, Center for Medical Humanities & Ethics
- Marvin Forland, MD, Distinguished Professor in Medical Ethics
- Bryan Alsip, MD, MPH, Executive Vice President/Chief Medical Officer, University Health System
Presentation of the data
- Anil Mangla, Ph.D., MPH, Chief Epidemiologist, San Antonio Metropolitan Health District
- Non-Profit: Kevin C. Moriarty, President and CEO Methodist Healthcare Ministries
- For-Profit: Efrem Castillo, MD, Regional Medical Director, WellMed
- Academia: Robert Ferrer, MD, MPH, Vice Chair for Research, Department of Family and Community Medicine, UT Health Science Center
- Community: Martha I. Castilla, San Antonio Promotora (community health worker)
- Government: State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte