TPR Honored With 4 Regional Murrow Awards: Hard News, Breaking News, News Series And Social Media
Texas Public Radio’s news coverage has earned four Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards from the Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA).
TPR’s Military & Veterans Issues Reporter Carson Frame’s story “Months After Damning IG Report, Military Struggles To Curb Domestic Violence On Bases” was recognized with an award in the “Large Market Radio Station: Hard News” category. David Martin Davies was also honored in the “Large Market Radio Station: News Series” category for his news series “The Dead In The Desert.” Davies, host of Texas Matters and The Source, has been recognized with 16 Regional Murrow Awards during his ten years at TPR and, last year, won a National Edward R. Murrow Award for “A Grim Look At Sex Trafficking” in the “Large Market Radio Station: News Documentary” category.
For the first time TPR was recognized with an award in the “Large Market Radio Station: Excellence in Social Media” with coverage across Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
The Texas Newsroom, the statewide public radio collaboration, was awarded in the “Large Market Radio Station: Breaking News Coverage” for its coverage on the El Paso mass shooting. TPR, along with other public media organizations in Texas, contribute to The Texas Newsroom.
The TPR awards in the “Large Market Radio” category are:
- Carson Frame, “Months After Damning IG Report, Military Struggles To Curb Domestic Violence On Bases”
- David Martin Davies, “The Dead In The Desert”
Breaking News Coverage:
- TPR and The Texas News Room, for coverage of the El Paso mass shooting
Excellence in Social Media:
- Instagram takeover: Sidewalk School
- Instagram post: English and Spanish ballot guides
- IGTV: Pregnant asylum seeker case
- Instagram stories: “The Source” live call-in show
- Live-Tweets: The Texas income tax question
- Twitter thread: What tariff threats mean for Laredo
- Photos tweeted from followers: San Antonio Storm
- Data visualization on Twitter: Mayoral runoff race
- Facebook video: Rancher explains land between U.S. and Mexico
The RTDNA has been honoring outstanding achievements in broadcast and digital journalism with the Edward R. Murrow Award since 1971. Murrow’s pursuit of excellence in journalism embodies the spirit of the awards that carry his name. Murrow Award recipients demonstrate the excellence that Edward R. Murrow made a standard for the broadcast news profession. TPR’s awards are given by the RTDNA Region 6, which includes Texas and Oklahoma.
TPR was founded by and is supported by our community. If you value our commitment to the highest standards of responsible journalism and are able to do so, please consider making your gift of support today.