The Source: After Hail, City Expects Scams For Homeowners
The hammering hail storms that San Antonio experienced the past few months included a record-setting $2 billion in damages. When a storm gets labeled the costliest in Texas history, the unscrupulous see an opportunity.
The City of San Antonio wants homeowners to be wary of con artists and fraudsters looking to take a piece of insurance payouts with phony companies and fake deals. On this episode of The Source we look at red flags when it comes to contractors.
A few tips:
- Always check with the city Development Services Department to ensure a contractor has proper licensing.
- Never pay any amount until the job is done.
- Make them give you an estimate, contractors may ask what the insurance company has given to you to fix the roof. You don't have to tell them, and you shouldn't.
- Roderick Sanchez, director of Development Services for the City of San Antonio
- Shay Guas, director of Special Investigations for USAA