May 25: San Antonio Sees 'Slight Uptick' In Hospital Numbers Since Texas Began To Reopen
This Post is Archived: Find the newest information on COVID-19 in San Antonio at the links below.
Texas Public Radio is updating the latest information on COVID-19 in the San Antonio area, along with how local businesses are adjusting, how you can help those in need and what you can do to stay entertained at home. TPR is also providing live updates on the Rio Grande Valley.
Monday, May 25
7 p.m. — Almost 2,450 cases confirmed
There was no COVID-19 briefing for the San Antonio area on May 25 because of Memorial Day.
Metro Health is reporting 2,449 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Bexar County. This is an increase of seven cases from the numbers reported on Sunday. There are no new deaths, leaving the total at 69.
On Sunday, Mayor Ron Nirenberg reported a gradual uptick in hospitalizations.
“We are monitoring very closely those hospital numbers to make sure that we don’t see a spike in them. We’ve seen a little bit of an uptick over the last couple of weeks and we want to make sure they remain stable,” he said.
Sunday, May 24
6:25 p.m. — Three new deaths reported
Mayor Ron Nirenberg reported 2,442 total cases, up 24 from yesterday. Four of the cases are from the community and the remaining 20 have yet to be determined.
There are three new deaths, bringing the total to 69.
Nirenberg also reported a “slight uptick” in hospital numbers: There are 79 positive cases in local hospitals, 41 people in intensive care and 20 on ventilators.
Justin Rodriguez, Precinct 2 County Commissioner, said he has gotten good reception from small businesses who are taking advantage of the city’s assistance, specifically with PPE. Nirenberg added that most small businesses are complying and following guidelines in this second phase of reopening.
There will be no briefing tomorrow in observance of Memorial Day, but the city will update numbers on its website.
6:10 p.m. — Watch today's daily briefing
10:30 a.m. — City to spend half of $350 million in federal COVID-19 aid on job retraining
San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg and Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff say efforts continue to get people back to work after many lost their jobs to COVID-19.
Both leaders say they expect to launch plans by Dec. 31 to keep COVID funding from the federal government, but both say more time is needed to ramp up.
Mayor Nirenberg believes there will be a push in Congress to give communities more time.
Both city and county governments plan to spend half of the $350 million in federal COVID-19 aid on job retraining.
9:50 a.m. — Update on surrounding counties
Comal County confirmed one new case last week, bringing the total 82. 56 people have recovered from the virus and there have been six deaths reported.
Atascosa County confirmed 36 cases this week, with 26 recoveries and only one death related to the virus.
The Texas Department of State Health Services has confirmed 122 cases in Guadalupe County. There are 38 cases in Wilson County and 66 cases in Medina County.
There are 24 COVID-19 cases in Kendall County. Both Uvalde and Bandera Counties report six cases each.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines
TPR was founded by and is supported by our community. If you value our commitment to the highest standards of responsible journalism and are able to do so, please consider making your gift of support today.