© 2020 Texas Public Radio
Real. Reliable. Texas Public Radio.
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Uber Returns To San Antonio

Rider Zero: Brad Parscale (Co-Founder of Tech Bloc & President of Giles-Parscale, Driver Zero: Felicitas Arredondo,

The ride-booking company Uber is back on San Antonio’s streets. The company announced via e-mail Tuesday users could begin hailing rides through its app.

“Thousands of drivers will be able to earn money in their own neighborhoods again,” said spokeswoman Debee Hancock. “And tens of thousands of riders will have a safe alternative to drinking and driving with just the tap of a button. We are grateful for Mayor Taylor’s leadership and efforts to bring back Uber San Antonio.”

Uber’s return comes six months after the company ceased operations in San Antonio saying regulations enacted by the city council were a strain on business.

The council passed a superseding ordinance relaxing some of the rules in mid-August.

“The City of San Antonio is committed to providing safe transportation options, and we are excited to welcome Uber, a company facilitating more than one million safe rides a day, back to town,” said Mayor Ivy Taylor. “This operating agreement provides consumer choice when it comes to personal safety and allows for innovative transportation options to move around San Antonio.”

According to a statement from the City, it will work with Uber to host several events in hopes to recruit about 2000 new drivers. Bringing the company back was a major goal of the newly formed TechBloc, an industry initiative to give tech companies a voice in policy decisions.

“Uber’s re-launch in San Antonio sends a loud signal that this city is open for business,” said TechBloc co-founder Brad Parscale. “Uber is more than a convenient and affordable ride, it increases exploration of the city, reduces DWIs and will help us attract top talent looking to move to a liveable urban city. This is a small step that makes a large impact in our community."

Lyft, a similar company, said it was returning to San Antonio immediately after the August council decision but did not set a confirmed date.