13 Candidiates Vie For City Council District 2 Seat
Thirteen people have applied to be the appointee to the District 2 seat on the San Antonio City Council. District 2 contains most of San Antonio’s East Side and parts of the northeast side.
The San Antonio City Council will review the applications Jan. 9 and conduct interviews during its regular work session, which is open to the public.
The council is expected to select a finalist on Thursday. The interim council person will serve until the end of the term on May 31, 2019.
Applicants had until Jan. 4 to apply and must have lived in the district at least six months before applying. The list includes:
- Walter Perry: student
- Jada Sullivan: disabled vet
- Dan Martinez: retired
- Michele Bailey: special education teacher
- Chris Dawkins: software owner
- Christopher Green: master teacher
- Dereck Hillyer: firefighter
- Aubry Lewis: retired
- Lester Bryant: self-employed
- Denise Gutierrez-Homer: interior designer/artist/teacher
- Art Hall: attorney/director at Alamo Colleges
- William B. Johnson: retired
- Stephen Lucke: youth development/health and wellness
The vacancy opened in December when current council member William “Cruz” Shaw announced he would be resigning to accept a position as an associate judge under Judge Lisa Jarrett of Bexar County’s 436th District Court. Shaw’s last day on the council will be Monday.