Northside ISD | Texas Public Radio

Northside ISD

McQueeney Elementary Principal Yomeida Guerra, right, speaks to Children at Risk president Bob Sanborn at a news conference announcing the group's 2018 school rankings May 21, 2018.
Camille Phillips | Texas Public Radio

Texas advocacy and research group Children at Risk is shining a light on schools that help students growing up in poverty succeed academically.

The organization published its 2018 school rankings Monday, comparing schools that serve students from similar economic backgrounds.

Northside ISD built a new fine arts building at Holmes High School with the proceeds from its last bond in 2014.
Provided | Northside ISD

Updated 10:53 a.m. with runoff election results for Alamo Colleges.

Northside Independent School District’s almost $850 million bond has passed, with the approval of almost 70 percent of voters.

Other results included, Southwest ISD incumbent trustees Florida Bernal, James Sullivan, Jr. and Keith Byrom were re-elected, each earning more than double the votes of their challengers.

Courtesy Northside ISD

Northside ISD, the biggest independent school district in San Antonio and fourth-largest in the state, is seeking almost $849 million to enhance and grow facilities. 

Judson ISD Police Chief Teresa Ramon takes one of the helmets out of the closet in her office, where she also keeps bulletproof vests.
Camille Phillips | Texas Public Radio

The Sutherland Springs church shooting was a stark reminder that threats can happen anywhere, but San Antonio school officials say they have layers of protections in place already, starting with regular lockdown drills for students and teachers.

Ryan E. Poppe

At a hearing in Round Rock on Thursday, UIL committee members in charge of investigating two John Jay High School football players' intentional hit of a referee earlier this month were able to hear coaches and officials recount the incident.  

John Jay Principal Robert Harris said Assistant Coach Mack Breed told him he was involved with the players hitting referee Robert Watts.