Mass Shooting | Texas Public Radio

Mass Shooting

Copyright 2018 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.

DAVID GREENE, HOST:

We are following right now reports of an incident involving a shooter in a movie theater in Germany. NPR's Soraya Sarhaddi Nelson is in Berlin with the latest details for us. Soraya, what do we know at this point?

From Texas Standard:

According to reports, the Orlando gunman Omar Mateen had been questioned by the FBI twice – in 2013 and 2014. But yet, he wasn't on their watch list.

Paul Miller, associate director of the Clements Center for National Security at the University of Texas at Austin, says the FBI's internal processes are fairly opaque.

"I'm not convinced they are very consistent from case to case either," he says. "The FBI handles a very large caseload, they go through these things all the time. They can't afford to put everyone on the watch list."

 


NPR

Orlando police are now reporting that 50 patrons were killed and at least 53 more were injured when a gunman opened fire overnight inside the Pulse, a gay nightclub.

The Associated Press is calling it “the worst mass shooting in U.S. history.”

NPR’s Carrie Johnson is reporting that two law enforcement sources have identified the gunman as Omar Mateen.

Orlando Police Chief John Mina told reporters Sunday morning the shooter was well organized and had an assault weapon and handgun. 

A gunman opened fire on a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., early Sunday morning, killing at least 50 people in the deadliest mass shooting in recent U.S. history before being shot dead by police.

Courtesy photo

Fifty years ago a lone gunman ascended the University of Texas tower and opened fire on passersby, killing 16, wounding three dozen others, and terrorizing people for 96 minutes until three police officers and one citizen were able to get up to the observation deck and end the carnage. The campus itself still bears physical scars from that tragic day.

A string of attacks on cities, schools and workplaces has prompted many employers to turn to a new area of security for their employees: active-shooter training.

Until about a decade ago, workplace security focused mostly on preventing theft. Now, businesses are trying to give their employees guidelines on how to escape or handle armed intruders.

Enrique Marquez, the 24-year-old man accused of providing two guns used in the San Bernardino attack, has pleaded not guilty to federal charges.

When he appeared Wednesday at his arraignment in federal court in Riverside, Calif., Marquez spoke only to briefly answer Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym's questions, the Los Angeles Times reports. The newspaper adds: "When she asked how he would plead, he said simply, 'Not guilty.' "

The FBI says they are working to fill an 18-minute gap in the timeline of the mass shooting in San Bernardino last month. Fourteen people were killed in the attack on the Inland Regional Center.

At a press conference, David Bowdich, the assistant director in charge of the FBI's Los Angeles office, said they have accounted for three hours and 42 minutes of the shooters' time. That's after executing 29 search warrants and conducting more than 550 interviews, law enforcement officials say.

The office complex in San Bernardino, Calif., where a mass shooting took place last month reopens Monday. Workers will be returning to administrative buildings, but the conference center where 14 people were killed and more than 20 others were injured remains closed indefinitely.

In the courtyard between Buildings 1 and 2 of the Inland Regional Center, a fountain gently splashes as Vince Toms describes what began as a routine day on Dec. 2. He'd been on several calls that morning and decided to take an early lunch.

Department of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson says he will soon announce a new national alert system aimed at better informing the public given the "new phase" of the global terrorist threat the U.S. is facing.

The department used to have a color-coded terror alert system that was put into place after Sept. 11, but that was replaced by the National Threat Advisory System (NTAS) in 2011.

Johnson said NTAS has never been used because it sets too high a bar, namely that it depends on there being a specific, credible threat to the homeland.

Pages