Planned Parenthood South Texas Says Violence Won't Change Need For Services
Following an attack on a Planned Parenthood in Colorado, Planned Parenthood South Texas says its continuing operations as usual.
Jeffrey Hons says he was shocked and sad to watch the news unfold Friday. The President and CEO for Planned Parenthood South Texas says there have been attacks on women’s health facilities and doctors before, but he thinks the shooting in Colorado Springs that killed three and injured others was worse.
Since then, the 8 facilities Hons oversees in San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley have continued providing services.
“You do so carefully," says Hons, "and you take care of the people who work here, and make sure they’re doing OK, and help them move forward.”
Hons says his organization has served the region for 76 years, and that these violent incidents won’t change the want and need for family planning and women’s health services.
“Women and men are going to want to have control over their families and have the families that they want, and that’s the fundamental part of what we’re doing here," says Hons. "And that doesn’t get scared out of people’s minds even after something as terrible as what happened Friday.”
In a statement, Hons says "our top priority is the safety of our patients and staff, and that "in South Texas and across the country, Planned Parenthood has strong security measures in place."
Planned Parenthood South Texas serves approximately 20,000 clients per year.